Thursday 17 March 2011

Shoaib Akhtar to retire after World Cup 2011


Pakistan's fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar is set to retire from international cricket after the ongoing ICC World Cup 2011.
The Rawalpindi Express, who is presently in Colombo, is expected to announce his decision on Thursday (today).
The 35-year-old right-arm bowler made his first international appearance in December 1997 against West Indies.
He was involved in a number of controversies pertaining to his action, injuries as well as discipline.
Akhtar, who was recalled for the World Cup after being out of action for a major part of the last three years due to a spate of injuries, had tested positive for a banned drug nandrolone in 2006.
He was also amongst the first players to be taken for random dope testing ahead of this World Cup, according to a source.
A few days before the start of the 2011 World Cup, Akhtar expressed his determination to make an impression during the tournament, which he said would be his last.
"I am still bowling 145-150 (kilometres per hour). I am touching it easily, so look, it's my last World Cup and I am going to try to do well whatever it's in my ability to do well," Akhtar said.
"I am going to go out there to push it and I will push it to the limit and that's how it is going to be,"

No comments: